One of my favorite creative writing activities is finding interesting photographs that inspire me to tell a story.
When I was in 8th grade, my English teacher had us do this exercise and I absolutely loved it. I wrote a story called “Dr. Soter’s Pink Couch” inspired by a photograph of this particular couch. My story was quite bloody and I have no idea why my mind turns to the macabre in the face of something so ordinary as a pink couch, but that’s the magic of this particular prompt!
Below are a few images I found that intrigue me and will hopefully inspire you.
(I’ve included what information I could find about each image below.)
Photo credits/information (if you know more, please add in the comments):
- Photograph by Herbert List
- Photograph of Mir / Mirny Mine
- American POW Lt. Col. Robert Stirm is reunited with his family after 6 years March 17, 1973
- Protruding mammoth tusk in Siberia
- Unknown (London Zoo, 1930s)
If you post the completed prompt on your blog, feel free to add a link in the comments! Happy writing!